Saturday, October 31, 2009

Anniversary Song

I only have one piece of sheet music in my house -- I can't read music or play any instrument. It is a photocopy of the Anniversary Song and was my grandma's favorite song. At one point she played a bit of piano and, though she was rusty, I remember her coming to our house and playing bits of that song. Since it was my grandma's favorite and reminded her of my grandpa, the song is one of my Mom's favorites too. She also plays bits of the song now and again.

I woke up this morning thinking about the song and realized I have never even watched The Jolson Story (Netflix!) The song was arranged and lyrics added in 1946 by Al Jolson and Saul Chaplin, but it is a Romanian waltz, Valurile Dunării, composed by Iosif Ivanovici in 1880. I learned that in Korea the song is known as The Psalm of Death.


Not having watched The Jolson Story, I'm not really sure what is happening in this clip (there is a sinister looking man at the dinner table!) and I'll admit my favorite part is when papa hums.



This one sounds most like I hear it in my head:

No comments:

Post a Comment