Saturday, December 18, 2010

Muffin Man and Grumpy Girl

I didn't mention, last Saturday I went to see Zappa Plays Zappa at the Congress Theater. This is the 4th time I've seen a ZPZ show and I was set to be disappointed compared to the previous shows. Not at all, it was great.

I love Scheila Gonzalez: in addition to all her instrument playing, she also did lead vocals for Valley Girl. I'm still working through my feelings about Ben Thomas' vocals though. Sure he has tough shoes to fill, but I don't think that was it for me. It was more about my already strained relationship with the "guy humor" lyrics in some Zappa songs.

I worry about my "strained relationship" to a lot of humor. I don't think I have a bad sense of humor but I do admit that I find most comedy movies stupid (I did not laugh once during the Borat movie.) Gene Ween goofy voice songs grate on my nerves. I saw a few episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force and never need to see another one again. I've never even liked Mad Magazine! While I've gone this far in explaining my lack of humor, I'll go all the way and admit I don't understand why men find such great joy in repeating (line for line) entire scenes from Monty Python, The Simpson's, Family Guy. (I can say, at least, that those shows have made me laugh!)

I've strayed far from Frank Zappa.

Anyway, there is some footage out there from the Congress theater show but I'm going to go original instead and with a performance that is more instrumental.

No comments:

Post a Comment