Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Birthday Party

Happy Birthday to Nick Cave, Joan Jett, and a guy I used to date. Nineteen years ago today, I was waking up after a late night seeing Nick Cave at the Latin Quarter (or maybe it was at St. Andrews Hall).


Photo from the Detroit Yes webpage which is sad but very interesting. The Latin Quarter looked a LITTLE bit better in 1990.

My favorite Nick Cave song has always been The Weeping Song.



I once drove from Craters of the Moon, Idaho to Denver by myself and sang along with that song over and over. I find it strangely cheerful considering the lyrics; it's so over the top you can't help but laugh. Especially if you have a girl voice and try to sing like Blixa Bargeld. I think it also has a lot to do with the xylophone which is both eerie and high spirited. While mucking about on YouTube, I discovered several versions I had not heard before where the xylophone was replaced with fiddle. I assume that is Warren Ellis playing and it is fabulous; nothing beats punk rock fiddle. I also love the low-budget, old school video NC and BB made with what looks like a bunch of trash bags, a fan, a row boat, an old book and a case of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment