Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two Fine Betties

Last week at work --two days in a row-- I saw gorgeous, young women with big afros, amazing figures and really skimpy outfits. This might be common where you work, but I work in a rare book library and usually see crusty academics; octogenarian family history buffs; and intense, nerdy, graduate students who look too young to drive. The first woman was using the computer in the genealogy section and was wearing a little, yellow, plaid skirt that looked like it came as part of the Naughty School Girl Halloween costume. She had legs Tina Turner would have killed for 40 years ago. The second woman was standing in front of our building and had on form fitting leggings that looked more like pantyhose, studded ankle boots and a crop jacket. Her hour-glass figure was perfect.

On the bus ride home that second day, while listening to a backlog of podcasts, the February 9, 2009 NPR All Songs Considered show featured Lesser Known Love Songs. The Sleater Kinney lady was on and one of her picks was Betty Davis’ Anti Love Song. Fate was clearly telling me to take notice of beautiful black women with killer legs and rocking attitudes, so I went home and listened to the Betty Davis CD I bought last year.

I can't remember what I read or heard that got me started on Betty Davis, she's pretty new to me, but I love her. I admit I have to be in the right mood to listen to her extremely raw, sexual shrieking though.



Bettye LaVette, on the other hand, whose albums I've also only purchased recently, I'm always in the mood to hear. I was so glad to see her steal the show at the inauguration last year. Aretha is awesome, but at that event, she was defined by her new hat and Bettye wore the Queen of Soul crown for awhile. And about time.

1 comment:

  1. And I'm sorry but I can't let this pass, I debated awhile about linking an early recording of a young Bettye singing Let Me Down Easy. She is cute as can be and thematically it fit in with my post. But the sound quality was bad and when I heard this one I knew I had to use it. But even without that amazing singing, she is so cool looking in her black shirt and shades.

    ReplyDelete