Wednesday, August 14, 2013

200, 45


My friend J. has decided to enroll in the teacher training program at our yoga studio.
J. has been doing yoga, several times a week, for many years now and she is lovely and slim and her dedication has paid off in terms of her abilities and health as well. She does not necessarily want to teach yoga, but likes the idea of more concentrated training for her own practice. She is a perfect candidate for this training at this point in her practice.

All of this, of course, make me think .. I want to do that too!

But I am not at that point in my practice or dedication --- 6 months of training on Saturday afternoons!? What about mimosa brunch? What if something wonderful happens and I get an offer for a romantic weekend getaway? --- not to mention that I have thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars of credit card debt right now and should not be signing up for $3,000 training courses.

So, I have decided that I should take another approach to this. Look at what it is that attracts me to the idea and build on that.

1. I want to do more yoga. I was so proud of the AMAZING navasana I did Monday. And, my forward bends are getting better, I feel my very creaky pelvic tilt and tight lower back starting to improve.

2. I am intrigued by the time frame, the course would start soon and end right after my 45th birthday. 45!!! I think I might have one of those mid-life crisis kind of birthdays. I always planned on aging gracefully but life is full of surprises. I think I would like to feel very proud of something when that birthday rolls around.

3. Lots. i just like that this is about doing something a lot. That impresses me.

4. It would be fun to do something with J. because she is smart and fun and positive and happy in addition to that lovely stuff.

So, taking those things together and being realistic, I have decided that starting this week, I am going to invest 200 in yoga by my birthday, the number of hours of the training program. I have not really done the math to figure out what that is per week, is this a lot, not so much? Doesn't matter, it is still a heck of a lot more than I am doing now.

I am going to count the 1.5 hours from the Monday class, where I did that outstanding navasana.

I am going to show some dedication by going to a class on Friday night before hopping on my bike to go across town for birthday drinks.

I am going to sign up for that 3 hour workshop on Saturday to work on neck and shoulders.

And I am going to get some priorities straight, tackle this work stress, and make arrangements, starting in September, to come in late on Fridays so I can go to one of my favorite teacher's class.

And I will make it a point to find other fun things to do with J. Maybe Sunday brunch mimosas?

1 comment:

  1. Fun things! With you! Yes, please. Sunday morning yoga demands mimosas afterward. For the vitamin C, of course.

    ReplyDelete