Thursday, August 1, 2013

Inspiration


Yesterday,
on my bike ride home from work,
I decided that in addition to looking out for potholes,
jackasses opening their car door into the bike lane without looking,
and crazy, swerving drivers,
I would look for inspiration and joy.
It just popped into my head as I strapped on my bike helmet.
I rode less than 3 blocks before I saw a woman.
Pink running shirt,
Running shorts with a lime green racer stripe,
Bouncy brown pony tail,
Amazing butt,

And a prosthetic leg.




She ran up from behind me and stopped a few steps ahead of me,
waiting for the same light to change that I was was.
She was impatient to get going, get moving, the way that city runners are.
When it turned green, she sprinted out of there.
Yesterday was also the day off between Day One and Day Two of the running schedule.
I was hardly giving up this early, but I admit it was inspirational and well timed, to remember that people go through a lot of effort to have the opportunity to do things I take for granted.
When I jumped out of bed at 6:30am this morning, I did it with a little extra bounce.
In other news, my experiment with the gluten-free Nasoya Pasta Zero Shirataki noodles was a hideous failure. Those things are disgusting and weird textured. It was like eating slimy worms. And this is coming from a woman who ate a bowl of tiny eels (?) for breakfast in Japan. Blech!

No comments:

Post a Comment