Saturday, March 13, 2010

Marshmallows and Carnations

I hate the garish green carnations that are all over the place this time of year. I stopped off at the grocery store on my way home from work and walked into a wall of them right in front of the doors and next to the carts.

Who is buying all these green carnation and babies breath bouquets? Who do these people give them to? I see plenty of people stumbling around town this weekend, drinking green beer and puking in the alleys. Do men bring their Guinness buddies flowers at the beginning of the night? Or maybe they give them to their girlfriends in anticipation of doing something annoying over the next 48 hours? I suppose many of the bouquets go to corned-beef and cabbage making moms and grandmas.

After thinking about how ugly I thought the green carnations were, I thought about The For Carnation. I have both Marshmallows and Fight Songs but can't for the life of me remember what the songs sound like. I know I listened to them fairly often in the late 90s but I'm drawing a blank: I just have a vague, Slint-y sound in my mind. I've put it on my "to listen to" list but don't feel like doing that this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment