Friday, January 6, 2012

Memory Lane is Ugly


A Facebook post about a bar burning in Hamtramck led to conversation about a bar closing in Denver and me remembering this photo of a different bar. I didn't remember anything about this photo but a couple other people did and, of course, the memories are not flattering to me. The guy is Rick, a friend/roommate, and the half-butt is me in 1996.

Blech.
I hated that time in my life and just thinking about it makes me feel kind of creepy.

That time makes me think of drinking too much, not eating enough other than cheeseburgers at a stinky bar and then giant breakfast burritos at a hangover diner, trying to fit in with people with whom I was never going to fit and who didn't really like me very much. And Niandra Lades and Usually Just a T-shirt, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Jon Spencer Blues Explosion Extra Width and Chocolate and Cheese.

On the brights side, I think that is about the last time I was close to the weight I'd like to be. I could wear those two beautiful dresses I bought in San Francisco Chinatown if I was that size again.

No comments:

Post a Comment