Sunday, November 8, 2009

Can you tell ... A smile from a veil

Once every year or so, I find myself absolutely bawling to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. I'm not gonna lie, these episodes usually happen after red wine or whiskey. But they are pure bawling, longing for everything that has not worked out and every person who is gone. Tonight is one of those nights. My eyelashes hurt from the weight of tears.

I've had two memorable Wish You Were Here episodes in the past few years. One was in a Kalamazoo coffee shop. It was about 11 am (no wine or whiskey involved!) and the song hit me unexpectedly when I was thinking about getting a bagel. I had taken the train to see a friend's band, gotten up early the next day to see a Dale Chihuly exhibit and then stopped off with a magazine to wait for the train home. It was a wave of knock the feet out from beneath me loneliness.

The other time was a drunken whiskey night and when I posted on my regular message board, my DJ friend came on, read my post and told me "Step Away from the Floyd." Good advice on nights like this. Shine on you Crazy Diamonds, but step away from the wine and the Floyd.

No comments:

Post a Comment