Thursday, November 5, 2009

Six Silly Sailors



Apparently my love of drunken musicians is long standing (I seem to have lost interest in sailors though.) While at my mom's house the other week, I found some old school projects, mother's day cards, and several "coupon" books that reveal I considered cleaning my bedroom a gift rather than an obligation. This particular poem and drawing was from the 9-year-old me and is found in a book called "My Creative Book." My favorite part is the musical notation that displays a creative flair but complete lack of understanding.

I still love to look at music even though I can't read it or play anything. In my current job, I sometimes come across a book in which the binder has used manuscript waste and scraps for the covers and pastedown leaves. As printed copies of books were made, some libraries replaced their manuscript copies. Materials were expensive though and manuscript leaves are beautiful, so the parchment was repurposed. While it's sad that the older manuscripts have not survived intact, I'm glad that some of these pieces are still around. The best covers are those that use leaves of music.



This site from Princeton is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment