Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Away, boys ... Away, boys.... Heave Away!

I'm finally over listening to the Tragic Mulatto albums all the way through everyday; I get by with just a daily dose of Man with a Tan. I've noticed that I am having more and more cravings for another band and another song though and it is directly related to the Tragic Mulatto crazy tuba sound.

The song I keep thinking about is Tom Waits' Singapore and the band is Chicago "circus punk marching band" Mucca Pazza.


(video by EriniChristine who has a lot of beautiful concert footage!)

I saw Mucca Pazza for the first time at Lollapalooza 2006. Other than Raconteurs cover of Crazy, the Mucca Pazza show was by far the highlight of the whole festival. Yay, local band! It is so much fun to go see them in a bar too, no matter how much of a hole-in-the-wall place it is, they find a way to march through the crowd. I don't think I want to meet the person who can go to one of their shows and not have a good time.

Their shows remind me of the best part of the Thanksgiving parade in Detroit, the high school marching bands. Some are boring with traditional songs and straight ahead marching but a couple are incredible. I can't remember if it was Cass Tech or Osbourne HS during the 80s but one of them was amazing and funky and had some great dance moves too. Dance moves with tubas! The only difference is that instead of going to the parade at an ungodly hour of the morning and standing around in the bitter cold the Mucca Pazza shows always start much later than I'd like in really hot and crowded bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment