Friday, December 4, 2009

Girl on Film


(video posted on YouTube by AleRi8)

I have the day off work and I am going to get professional photographs taken. This is part of my Christmas gift for my mom (it will be the first time since 1987) and will allow me to take back mantle space from all those crooked-teeth,runny nosed grandkids who have taken over! For a long time, I kept pace with the siblings: school photos, senior picture, graduation. But the adult photo opportunities seem to have passed me by. The siblings provided wedding, baby's first Christmas, and family portrait updates but I've become trapped for all time in a soft lighting, blue feather boa photo from senior year.

The choice was to either provide a grandchild or go get a studio photo. In some ways the grandchild option would be less traumatic; I'm okay looking in real life but I'm not photogenic. Of course I could not get a haircut scheduled until yesterday, so my bangs are a bit too short and crazy looking today. I really did try to make this picture nice, I went on no less than three shopping trips to find some outfits but came back empty handed. (I did, however, see a few JUMPSUITS at Macy's.) I even went to a make-up lesson on Wednesday night in the hopes of putting on a better face today. But today, instead of putting on a smokey eye or even running up to Walgreens to get volumizing mascara instead of the lengthening mascara I currently own and don't really need, I am sitting her freshly scrubbed and thinking about Duran Duran.

I have not done that much since 1984/85 but I've listened to it quite a bit this week and even walked down memory lane with my old friend K. about a defunct, Detroit area, Duran Duran wanna-be band called Second Self. I had forgotten how weird the videos for Girls on Film and Hungry Like the Wolf are. A big wide, Simon Le Bon headband could solve my crazy bangs problem or I wonder how my mom would feel about a portrait of me, mostly naked, caked with mud and decorated with zig zag yellow face paint? I bet that kind of photo could generate a bit of online date interest ....

1 comment:

  1. Update: I can't believe what I've done to my house. In the process of selecting five outfits (4 of which are jeans and a sweater) I've managed to turn every drawer upside down, empty two closets and clutter ever single surface in my apartment.

    Stereo, bottle of wine and a big house clean is on the agenda for my Friday night.

    ReplyDelete