Friday, December 25, 2009

Jimmy Stewart - 20, Spinster Librarian - 3

I'm not sure how many times I've seen It's a Wonderful Life but 23 seems a good guess. I also don't remember the first few times I saw it but I think I might have been young enough not to fully get it or teenage enough to be jaded. So I'm going to generously give myself three viewings when I might not have bawled as soon as Mr. Gower boxes young George's ears. And then continued to cry on and off through the rest of the movie.

I usually make it dry eyed that far. That's right after cute little Mary and cute little Violet sigh over George and right before we finally see Jimmy Stewart when he gets a suitcase we know he'll never use. And usually, once I get to my favorite scene -- "She's just about to close up the library!" -- I am okay for the rest of the movie. Frustrated ambitions provoking more tears than heart-warming generosity and the love of an entire town.

But this year Jimmy Stewart kicked my butt from the first view of Bedford Falls right down to ZuZu and that tinkly bell. I give up.


(posted by 7roach)

No comments:

Post a Comment