Monday, December 28, 2009

Tina Tuner kicks Tortoise Ass

I've listened to a lot of both in the past 24 hours and I can easily say that. I dusted off my TNT album from the late-1990s and found some forgotten favorites though. I still like Swung from the Gutters and had forgotten all about it.


(Tortoise performing Swung From The Gutters live at the Firebird in St. Louis, MO on September 29, 2009 posted by snivelttam)

Disappointingly, both of the live versions I found on Youtube sound little like the recorded version. My favorite element of the song -- a kind of repetitive yet mounting beat "doo doo doo .... doo doo doo ....doo doo dooo" is absent. Did they forget to bring that machine on the road with them? If I were a recording gadget geek I'd be better able to hear, understand and explain the differences. I just know that I am hearing chaos but not the string of sounds that holds the song together on my CD.

Lala only has a 30 second clip but it is a "good part."

But honestly, there's no competition: Tina Turner still kicks Tortoise Ass 99 times out of 100. Swung from the Gutters is going back into my regular rotation and I'm going to see what they've been up to in the last dozen years. I've changed, I wonder how they have.

No comments:

Post a Comment