Saturday, December 26, 2009

Styx - Low Hanging Fruit of the Online Dating World

There are scenes,
There are blues
There are boots,
There are shoes
There are Turks,
There are fools
There are Rockers,
They're in schools
There was you,
Then there was you


I jumped in.
I am the official owner of an online dating profile.
This mostly just makes me feel queasy. Not in the excited before a big event way but in the "I ate too many marshmallows and I wish I hadn't" way.

I'm finding two things very interesting in this so far brief experience.

1. Most of the men in my age range who state strong interest in music and list musical preferences mention a lot more modern, ambient, avant garde and electronic stuff that would never come right to my mind if I talked about bands I love. Some of it I know, some of it is okay in small doses, some of it I like, and lots of it makes me fear I would be living in Tron if we hit it off and shacked up.

I've known and loved recording and electronic toy dorks before (and thank god for that or who would swap out my stereo tubes when they blow!) but I feel a bit worried that there will be some sort of pop quiz about what keyboard is being used for the tinkle at minute 12:53 of Shoegaze Reptoid Zap! by DJ RJ (aka Ubu Boi).

Do these guys secretly still listen to Metallica and Hank Williams too but want to put forward their hip, young intellectual side? Will my fondness for acoustic guitar, outrageous lead singers,and words date me and doom me?

2. One of the questions this particular site asks is "What do you love that everyone else hates?" My answer is Styx. This seems to be the low hanging fruit of my profile that men use as an opening and it is fascinating. I know from experience talking with with people in pubs that Styx does not go over well and there is no convincing a hater. The only other artist that comes close to this in terms or universal knowing and loathing is Grace Slick.

I can't imagine sending a message that reads:
StyNx sux! *wink*

Now that makes a girl feel special. At least I know they've read the words and didn't just look at the pictures ....off now to listen to Taking Tiger Mountain (by Strategy). I love Brian Eno and wonder if he earns me some weirdy music points even if he is an old timer.

No comments:

Post a Comment