Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dancing Pants and Disembodied Limbs




On this snowy, winter day I'm nostalgic for a favorite summertime activity. I have a side project of snapping pictures of disembodied mannequin parts in store-front windows. Taking photos when I wander around the city turns every walk into a safari. I've found lots of hat and wig displays, a bizarre installation of foot powder and diabetic support socks, and the occasional ring model. The best place to look is in the Indian neighborhood up by Devon Street. That is quite a walk from my house and by the time I am there I am also ready for lunch of aloo gobi and saag paneer.

I'm not up for a 10 mile hike in the snow today, but I am meeting a friend for hot chocolate and then a trip to a south side neighborhood with a bunch of fabric stores. I think I'll bring my camera.I don't imagine I'll see many window displays, but I do like rows and rows of fabric bolts and button displays.


No comments:

Post a Comment