Friday, January 8, 2010

January 8

August 16th is the Elvis date that jumps most readily to mind for me, but today is a big one: 75. I may need to celebrate tonight with a grilled PB and banana which *is* pretty darn good if you haven't tried it. I like my banana sliced rather than mashed. I do remember when Elvis died, though my parents were not big fans. My mother didn't cry, I don't know that she had any comment at all. That would have been the year my parents were getting a divorce and I think she had bigger and more personal sad things on her mind. But I remember the news coverage and all the crying women on TV, waving their pictures of Elvis. I thought they were crazy.

Ten years later, I was working at a thrift store on Gratiot called Value Village. The radio station we listened to at work was playing "All Elvis, All Day, No Interruptions." The customers loved it. They pop in for 30 minutes, buy a few tube tops and broken lamps, and leave. I was there for nine hours and just about went crazy. Elvis has some great stuff but he also has some real smarmy stinkers.

In The Ghetto and Suspicious Minds are my two of my favorites.





That one has some great dancing and audience kissing but I'm not so sure about the "shove it up your nose!"

Why don't I have a commemorative Elvis plate? I think I saw Channel 50 advertisements for those pretty much every day of my life between the ages of 7 and 10. I would love to have one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment