Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Brave New World for Batgirl

New job will open up new worlds and new dynamics for me. I've been cloistered in the cataloging workroom for long enough that the full power of know it all, sexist academics had been forgotten.

There have been touches of it, I've been working with "map guys" all along and there is some sense by one or two of them that what I know and contribute is less important than their map guy in-depth knowledge.

But I think in the technology area and working with all these academics in publication related stuff, there will be an steep increase in bullshit.

Had a long conversation with the guy I am taking over from about one of the projects and one of the vendors we work with. He was talking about a prior project where one of the (female) editors and this guy did not get along. I asked what the source of tension was and he paused and said .. "honestly, I think a big part of it was sexism."

Hello 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment