Thursday, October 13, 2011

Disaster

The past few days have been a spending disaster. I wanted to update last night but felt overwhelmed with trying to recreate my spending and eating! This happens frequently with projects like this -- anything that requires consistent monitoring like counting calories or Weight Watchers points, balancing a checkbook. Psychologically, I am fine with setbacks and jumping right back on the plan, but dealing with the rigid systems that you can't easily just lose a few days and still have the figures mean something has always been a problem for me.

But let's see.... I'm sure I won't be the first or the only one to start a story with, "It all started to fall apart at a wine bar."

It all started to fall apart at a wine bar, Webster's Wine Bar to be exact. On Monday night I went to see the 2nd Story show. I arrived early and spent a couple hours working on my story for class, had two glasses of wine, ate dinner. ($42.08) During the show I had an autumnal white wine flight (didn't like the selections very much, I prefer crisper spring summer whites I guess) and a glass of red. ($25.09) Expensive, but I had a great night, wrote my story and had a wonderful walk home listening to Big Star's Thirteen and Black Sabbath. I'm fairly certain that at one point, right as I was passing my alley before turning the corner to walk to my house, I sang "I am Iron Man" just a little too loud. But I couldn't hear it, I had my headphones in. The only ones who would have heard me anyway were the drunks coming out of Inner Town or the hipsters heading to Happy Village.

Not surprisingly, 3 glasses of red and a white flight left me a little fuzzy and hung over in the morning. This is where it goes downhill. Had breakfast at 3rd Coast (scrambled eggs, ham, rye toast, fruit, Earl Grey tea)for $14. I got some sort of nutty bar thing at Whole foods and a chocolate bar for lunch, and also bought a tin of the decaf Earl Grey that I like to have at night ($18.10). Dinner before class at some place I can't remember the name of, cheeseburger, fries, beer ($5 burger special for a total cost of $14.

But yeah, it gets worse on Wednesday. Breakfast was a bagel at the staff meeting and then more tea at the meeting I had right after the staff meeting but lunch ... I took two of my catalogers out to celebrate a 5 year employment anniversary, the public announcement of more than a year's worth of work on our project blog, and discussion of an upcoming training session they are teaching and some organization change stuff. Lunch, wine and tip for three in my overpriced work neighborhood ... $109.91. Or, looking at my Chase bank pending activity, they are saying $119.91. Very often those restaurant things get adjusted but I am keeping my eyes on it. I think the guy might have given himself $10 extra in tip!

Okay, I have gone to confession, I am free and clear. Now get off my back, I have thoughts about chili dogs that I need to get to!

No comments:

Post a Comment