Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Project


2011 has been a bad year for spending. I've been buying lots and lots and stuff; I've had some work travel and medical reimbursement stuff that I put on credit card and then did not pay off when the checks came in; and I have been eating and drinking out like a rock star.

This weekend I had a Come-to-Jesus conversation with myself, sat down and did a credit card repayment plan, and determined that I really need to come up with a system to radically curb my dining and drinking out.

My coworker/friend (I will call him Lars since he sometimes calls himself Lars) and I have been having an ongoing conversation about our restaurant and bar spending habits... we usually have this conversation while having expensive hamburger lunches at Gibson's of course. Yesterday evening and this morning we got serious though and we are both planning on a "No Eating Out October."

We have slightly different rules based on different lifestyles and tolerance levels. Lars needs coffee, I have a few social things planned and won't be punitive with myself. I also have a class right after work on Tuesday nights and for a couple of those I need to run an after work errand and will need to grab something while on the way.

I'm excited though, I spent some time taking inventory of the pantry and freezer and doing some menu planning. I am going to finalize my weekly menu plan tomorrow after going to the farmers market.

In addition to wanting to cut costs, I also like the idea of cutting a few pounds. I'm a healthy weight but my almost 43-year old butt is bigger than my 40-year old butt was and I could lose 10 pounds to good health and wardrobe benefit. I'm not taking that into much consideration as I meal plan though, right now any home cooked meal is far better than a restaurant one. I admit to having bacon twice today. It was a little bit of bacon and it went a long way!

October 1:
Breakfast - toast and hummus
Bunch - bacon and egg pasta
Dinner (in photo) - "Pizza" on a whole wheat pita with olives, leftover green beans, left over bacon, feta cheese, a melted piece of string cheese ... good but too salty. Imagine that, with feta, bacon and olives!

No comments:

Post a Comment